Wednesday, May 2, 2012

What I Wore to Work - Ruby Rox Retro White Polka Dot Dress


Dress - Ruby Rox (Goodwill)

I found this dress last Fall at Goodwill and its been hanging out in my closet ever since awaiting the arrival of white dress wearing weather!  It's the long lost sister to my other retro inspired Ruby Rox dresses.  This particular dress is white with black polka dots, large black buttons (with the same anchor design) and black stitching around the waist.  I just love these dresses!  And its always exciting for me when I stumble across another one at Goodwill!
 


For the past month, I've been wearing my hair in a vintage inspired updo (similar to the one in this tutorial).  I wanted to get back to my curls and also try something different than my usual hair flowers.  I looked around a few stores for some cute headbands or bows, but didn't find anything to my liking.  So, I just made my own!  Even though I don't sew (yet!), I do keep a stash of scrap fabrics.  I took some black and white check fabric, cut a length and tied it up in my hair.  Just what I wanted, for no money out of pocket!
 


Playing around with the vintage photo effects :)

Mary Ellen


pleated poppy

 

7 comments:

  1. Your dress looks lovely, but I would be afraid to wear white for fear of getting it dirty. Your vintage hair style is gorgeous! I love the curls and the bow you made. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I accidentally stumbled on to your blog by googling about the NC Senate Bill 514 (the post above this). I absolutely disagree with your viewpoints (I'm firmly pro-same sex marriage), but love that you're open to the possibility that your opinions can change.

    One thing we CAN agree on? This dress is smashingly phenomenal. SMASHINGLY. I'm insanely jealous over such an awesome Goodwill find. :)

    -Heidi
    (in Alaska, if you're wondering about that hit in your stats, lol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Heidi! And thanks for sharing your opinions!

    Mary Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your style!I am not able to locate as much reto wear as you can in our goodwill but I find things that are really feminine. I bought a white wrap dress last summer because that has a slight ruffle neck line with somewhat of the same feel in the skirt lines. I love the material idea and actually considered pulling out my machine and making a few fabric hair accessories. I also bought some flowers to use. We talked about the flowers on BBW. I have been buying big floppy hats lately for the summer to add to my wardrobe. I love seeing someone who dresses like I do, lol. As we talked about we get tons of compliments and looks. I have started seeing groups of young 20 yr olds dressing retro and out on the town in San Diego. They are too fun to see. I'm with you on gay marriage. I feel firmly as a person that believes that we are given free will to do His will or sin, so should others be allowed that right. If all sins were policed as we are trying to do with same sex marriage, our law books would be hard to house in one structure. I do see a problem with the "benfits" of marriage being unbalance with the influx of new spouses in the current system that supports family and marriage. I don't see it as a threat to marriage but more of one to the privileges of it. Of course, heterosexual marriage privilege is what fueled my concerns, lol. BTW this is Mocha Z or Czarina <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also forgot to say thatI also love your hair!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by Mocha Z!

    Mary Ellen

    ReplyDelete