Thursday, May 28, 2009

Bloom Where You Are


God doesn't call the equipped, He equips the called.

It was after reading that quote last year, that I had a light bulb moment about my role as a working mother. This is what I wrote at the time on my other blog:

For so long, I've prayed and anguished over not being a stay at home mom. It's what I feel called to do. I didn't understand why God would place this yearning on my heart to mother a large family but not see fit for me to serve them at home. Why do I have to live with one foot in both worlds? How would I ever reach my true calling?

But this morning, I realized my calling isn't necessarily some future event in which through God's grace I will become united with later. It's not out there, it's not when the money is right or when I find the right job. My calling is RIGHT NOW! Where I am right now - as a working wife and mother - is where God has called me to be. I'm releasing the guilt I've felt in the past. I'm releasing the anger over not being able to change my situation. I'm going forth embracing my life as it is and praising God all the while.

It's not giving up on a dream or passively letting life happen to me. It's accepting God's current will for my life. Where he wants me TODAY.


For those of you who are wrestling with feeling like you are not the wife or mother you should be because your current situation finds you working outside of your home, BLOOM WHERE YOU ARE! Take on your role as working home keeper and forget all those voices that say you can't just because you earn a paycheck outside of the home. And when balancing both gets rough, stand firm in the promise that we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. I choose to believe that includes both keeping my house clean and working full-time :)

18 comments:

  1. I often find myself more consumed with the future than the present. What wonderful words you have written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing! This is just what I needed to hear/read today. Found your blog through the Nester's link-up and I will be back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this....my kids are now 21,20,19, 18, 16, 14 and 12 and I have a lot of guilt that I was never able to be the mom I wanted to be and now its too late...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was with joy that I found your blog this morning. Another North Carolinian! My dh is an NC state graduate as well (thank goodness they finally won a game yesterday!) I love this post. I had no choice but to work outside the home when my children were growing up. They are now 29 and almost 23. Still have that longing to stay home.... still working. Early retirement maybe....

    ReplyDelete
  5. excellent. i struggle with this on and off all the time! what a great reminder!! thank you so much for this!! I'm tweeting this post right now to share with others!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found you through Jen @ Balancing Bedlam... I have to say, I love these words. They speak encouragement to me as I too struggle with the same feelings. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you realize what comfort your words bring to so many. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm posting a blog Monday about my struggle with the same thing! It is hard to balance it all. I love your blog, because I totally identify with the "foot in both worlds" issue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this post. What an encouragement. I recently returned to work after maternity leave with my first child. She is four months old and I'm adjusting, but wish daily that I could be at home with her. Thank you so much - I'm so excited to read more about being a "working home keeper". :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad to find another working mom Christian blogger! I've had my blog for a couple of years now. I long to be home but I loved this post. So true!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - I stumbled upon this post on your blog and it really spoke to me!! I have been so consumed lately with where I want to be in a couple years and it just hit me that I can be doing so many things now to make me even better for that goal!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your site! I identify as well with wanting to be a stay at home mom yet working full time, and try to remember that whatever I am doing--all for God's great glory!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I struggle with this as well and your words are a great reminder to live for today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Mary Ellen, I thank God for your blog. I know it will help women who venture here and who have a foot in both worlds, like you, and struggle with guilt over it.

    I am an older woman myself. While our children were growing up I was fortunate to be home with them most of the time. The little work I did that had nothing to do with the home involved helping my husband in his business and I was able to do that and remain at home.

    I have known many fine women who felt it necessary to work outside the home while their children were growing up. These women were excellent mothers. I sometimes think they end up some of the best mothers because they know that what little time they have to spend with their children must be of the highest quality.

    Mrs.P

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have several friends in this situation. I'm posting this to facebook so that they can read! God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there, I found your blog by means of Google whilst searching for a comparable subject,
    your website came up, it appears to be like good.
    I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
    Hello there, simply turned into alert to your weblog thru
    Google, and located that it's truly informative. I'm gonna watch out for brussels.

    I will appreciate in the event you proceed this
    in future. Many other folks will probably be benefited out of your writing.
    Cheers!

    Feel free to visit my webpage: http://chatstatz.com/MollyHelm

    ReplyDelete