Tuesday, June 16, 2009

My Love Language

She gets up while it is still dark;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her servant girls
Proverbs 31: 15

Eight years ago, I did not enter marriage knowing how to cook (or how to do laundry, change diapers or clean house for that matter). My idea then of a fancy meal was chicken breasts baked in tin foil tents with barbeque sauce and two cans of veggies mixed with white rice. My mother was an excellent from scratch cook, but not a very patient teacher. So anything I gleaned from her was done from peering over the kitchen counter. My education in this home art has come in the kitchen through trial and error.

But what once was an uncomfortable setting for me, has now become a means by which I show my love to my family. I take great joy in coming home and preparing hot, home cooked meals for my family even after a long day at work. And I love knowing my husband, the kids and my Mom will get a good, nourishing start to their day with the soaked oatmeal, muffins or sprouted, buttered toast with pastured scrambled eggs I prepared before going to work. It's a bit of me that's left behind during the day and a reconnection when I return in the evenings.


A few of our family's favorite meals




No comments:

Post a Comment