Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Homekeepers Journal - July 20th


Please visit Sylvia at Christian HomeKeeper Network to read what's going on with other Home Keepers around blogland!

This week’s Homekeeper’s Journal is all about Beginnings ……..


Something new I would like to attempt in my kitchen ……….. Canning tomatoes!  After reading numerous blogs, websites and checking The Ball book out from our library, I think I'm ready to give canning a try.  My plan is to start small and simple, buying a few pounds of tomatoes each week from our farmers market and doing jars of crushed tomatoes.  I already have the jars (thanks to Dave finding boxes of canning jars put out by the curb in our neighborhood last year) and a large stock pot.  I just need to buy lids and rings (which I will also use as a modified rack in the bottom of the pot) and jar tongs.


When the newness wears off a relationship you find ………. The true depth of the friendship.  Yesterday evening, I was surprised by a call from the mother of a little girl Ashleigh grew really close to last year in first grade.  Their family moved back to their home state before the school year ended, leaving Ashleigh without her bestest bud. Well, they are moving back to North Carolina this week and would like to get together once they've gotten settled in!  Even though the girls won't be going to the same school this year, we look forward to getting together whenever possible.


The new school year starts around here on ……. August 25th for Ashleigh (2nd grade) and Clayton's staggered entry Kindergarten start date is August 27th.  I still have to write a letter to Clayton's preschool informing them of his last day.  I'm dragging my feet as if it will stop the fact I will have yet another baby going off to big school!  We have also been working with our county's preschool services regarding speech therapy for Reed.  They have suggested we enroll him in a part-day early learning program at one of the local public schools.  Dave and I are still discerning if the program is the right direction for Reed or if we should consider private speech services.  We would love your prayers as we consider the matter.

Even though the start of school signifies a change of season to cooler weather, fall festivals, football games, pumpkins, the state fair, my birthday!  I so treasure the casualness of our summers.  When the only schedule we have to keep is our own! 

I need to start …….. My seeds for my Fall garden!  I'm planning on growing broccoli, kale, spinach and chard, all plants that do well in the cool fall temperatures here.  I've already constructed another garden square using salvaged bricks near the existing garden.  Just need to get going on the soil mix and the seeds.  I also have several "trash to treasure" finds waiting to be primed and painted! 

God’s mercies are new every morning so ……….. I need to ask Him each day for my daily bread.


6 comments:

  1. I would like to learn canning as well. Don't you think that school starts way to early~ yuck.
    Have a great Weds

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, definitely alot earlier than when I was younger. I remember starting school after Labor Day growing up.

    Mary Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Ellen - if you still have it, there is a coupon for Buy 2 Get 1 Free Ball or Kerr lids in the 6/27 RP (x7/31). I don't can, but like to buy the plastic lids to use with the jars for storing dry goods, leftovers in the fridge, etc. So, I was pleasantly surprised to actually stumble across a coupon for them.

    My sweet boy is starting kindergarten, too! I'm having such a hard time with it.

    Speech is such a hard issue. Kira gets speech therapy in class twice a week at her preschool. As soon as we're out of BS2 (7 months left!), we're going to add in private speech, as well. I'll pray that you will find the right answer soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the beautiful reminders of the blessings of fall. I've been so wrapped up in summer. Yes, fall is a wonderful time of year!

    ReplyDelete