Sunday, June 1, 2014

Strawberry Glaze Pie Recipe




I love looking through my Momma's old cookbooks.  They're like time capsules.  Our old address and phone number written in the inside covers - along with my Momma's name {always written in the traditional fashion of Mrs. James A. P...}.  Receipts, recipes from the electric cooperative newsletter, a list of tips entitled "Are Your Kids Driving You Crazy" {LOL!}.



But, I went looking for a strawberry dessert to satisfy the wishes of the Mr. and the kids.  I found this Strawberry Glaze Pie recipe submitted by Mrs. Henry Lustgarten from Wilmette, IL.  The recipe is from the cookbook, "Favorite Recipes of America:  Desserts" copyright 1966.














1 1/2 quart fresh strawberries
1 9-in pie shell {deep dish}, baked according to package directions
1/2 cup water
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons butter
red food coloring {optional}

Wash, drain and hull strawberries.  Place 1 quart of berries in baked and cooled pastry shell.  Crush remaining berries {while the original recipe says "crush", you really need to puree the strawberries in order to make the glaze}.  Combine pureed berries with water, sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan.  Boil for 2 minutes or until clear.  Add butter and enough food coloring to give a bright red color {I found the food coloring was not needed}.  Spoon glaze {slightly cooled} over berries in pie shell, making sure that all berries are covered.  Cool {in refrigerator until set}  Cover with whipped cream before serving.

Mary Ellen note:  Some of my glaze did not make it all the way to the bottom layer of fresh berries, though that did not in anyway diminish the taste!  Next time, I will probably add a layer of glaze to the bottom of the cooled pie shell before adding the fresh berries.  Or maybe a layer of whipped cream.  Or both!  I don't think there's a wrong answer when it comes to strawberries and whipped cream LOL!  

Enjoy!

Mary Ellen    

8 comments:

  1. Oh that is an oldie! This recipe sounds fantastic, perfect for summer!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Mary Ellen I have made the pie once and the glaze a second time (within a week) to put on ice cream and we used it as a jam for our English Muffins. This is the single BEST strawberry pie I have ever made and eaten! My husband said the same! Thank you for sharing I know we will be eating this many times! ~ Mrs. W

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're kickin' it old school with this one. My mom had this cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. blog here p4b87v2g65 best replica bags joy replica bags review replica bags manila fake hermes g2q02e9l47 replica bags london navigate to these guys p3y03q5c63 louis vuitton replica replica bags from china u8f23w5t57

    ReplyDelete