Friday, December 30, 2011

Black-Eyed Pea Recipes for New Year's Day


In my family, and I'm sure other Southern families, its traditional to eat black-eyed peas and collard greens on New Year's Day.  The black-eyed peas are eaten for luck and the collard greens are eaten for prosperity ($$$).  Well, I hated black-eyed peas growing up!  My Momma's way of preparing them left a lot to be desired - open can, dump peas in pan and heat.  Slimy bean juice and all!  Since I've become a home keeper, I've found different (and more appealing!) ways to prepare black-eyed peas.  One of my favorites, Black-Eyed Pea Salad.

Black-Eyed Pea Salad
(adapted from recipe here)

Note:  This is one of those recipes where there's really no precise measurements.  The salad is put together by eye-balling it and by personal preferences.

Black-eyed peas, 3-15 oz cans (peas rinsed) or the equivalent in cooked, dried peas.  I prefer using dried to canned.  To prepare dried beans, soak in water overnight.  Rinse, then boil over medium heat for one hour or until peas are tender but not overly so.

Frozen whole corn kernels, steamed or boiled (about 2 cups) 

Green pepper, diced

Red pepper, diced

Red onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)

Olive Oil, about 3/4 cup

Vinegar, about 1/4 cup (I like to use red wine vinegar)

Sugar, about 1/4 cup or less

Fresh red tomato, diced (optional)


Combine peas, steamed corn, diced peppers, diced red onion and diced tomato (if using) in a large mixing bowl.  In a separate bowl, mix together olive oil, vinegar and sugar.  Pour oil and vinegar mixture over the peas and vegetables.  Mix to combine.  Refrigerate (the original recipe calls for 8 hours, but I've done it for less) to allow flavors to blend.  Stir occasionally during refrigeration. 

And here are a couple other black-eyed pea recipes we enjoy - and not just at New Year's!

Sue Gregg's Country Creole Peas & Corn

Heritage Schoolhouse - Hoppin' John 


Happy New Year!

Mary Ellen

3 comments:

  1. I love Black-eyed peas and ham anytime of the year. I remember my mother always making up a pot on New Year's Day. She always put a few ham hocks in the pot. And she would make some cornbread to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I wanted to let you know that I shared a link to this post at my Facebook page.
    Yummy recipes!

    ReplyDelete