Sunday, August 2, 2009

Sunday Reading


"I am a working woman with a secret life: I keep house. An off-and-on lawyer and professor in public, in private I launder and clean, cook from the hip, and devote serious time and energy to a domestic routine not so different from the one that defined my grandmothers as "housewives". When I want a good read, I reach for my collection of old housekeeping manuals. The part of me that enjoys housekeeping and the comforts it provides is central to my character."

~ Cheryl Mendelson
Home Comforts: The Art & Science of Keeping House

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favorite house keeping books! I love reading the beginning of the book for inspiration when I'm in a rut. A few other good, and fun, home keeping books are Mrs. Dunwoody's Excellent Instructions for Homekeeping by Miriam Lukken, The Hidden Art of Homemaking by Edith Schaeffer, Classic Household Hints by Susan Waggoner, and Mrs. Sharp's Traditions by Sarah Ban Breathnach. You may have already heard about these, but I thought I'd share them with you in case you hadn't heard about them yet.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete