Tuesday, March 29, 2011

My Lenten News Fast


For those who observe, Lent began earlier this month on Ash Wednesday (March 9th).  This year for Lent, I'm undertaking a news fast.  No news coverage except for weather.  I decided to give up news because as a "news junkie", I have a tendency to saturate myself with news coverage.  News in the morning while I'm getting dressed, listening to talk radio on-line at work, more news in the evening.  While its good to be informed, I find most news today is presented in such a manner that creates fear and anxiety.  That's not a healthy place to exist.  In 2 Timothy 1:7, it says "God hath not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, of love and a sound mind."  A sound mind is not a fearful mind.  So in an effort to reclaim my peace and set my mind on whatever is excellent and praiseworthy, I said bye-bye to news (sorry Glenn and Rush!).

Since beginning my news fast, I've found that I haven't been able to completely escape the news of the day.  I don't know specifics, but I gather a disaster has happened in Japan (prayers for those affected).  And I've learned its not always the big things that rob my peace.  But my reaction to the little things during my day also has the potential to steal my peace (God is still working on me with that one!).


   

1 comment:

  1. Mary Ellen, I completly understand your desire to free yourself from the news. I quit watching the news long ago because of the exact reasons you mentioned. So much of it is biased (politically, that is)and there is hardly ever anything uplifiting on there. I read Fox News headlines online, or I will listen to the news on the radio while driving, but that's about it. This way, I stay informed of the truly important things, like the Japan disaster, but don't have to become bombarded and upset by all the other stuff.

    ReplyDelete