Sunday, October 28, 2012

Fall Recipe - Beef & Vegetable Soup


Beef & Vegetable Soup
 
A blustery, Fall day filled with lots of playing and jumping into leaf piles, calls out for a warm, hearty dinner!
 
Inspired by Mom Saving Mom's Hamburger Vegetable Soup recipe - but altered to make it more like my Momma's recipe!
 
1 lb ground, local grass-fed beef
3-4 potatoes, peeled and diced
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 cup brown rice
1-28 oz. can, diced tomatoes
 
the following, I don't really measure - just go by sight and preference
some frozen corn
some frozen peas
some frozen cut okra
tomato or vegetable juice
 
to season, dried oregano, dried basil, 2 bay leaves and black pepper
 
In a large pot, brown beef then drain.  Add in potatoes, onions and carrots.  Then add the diced tomatoes, frozen vegetables and rice.  Add enough tomato or vegetable juice to cover the ingredients.  Add in the seasonings, then cook over medium low heat until potatoes and carrots are done.  I usually let this simmer on the stove on low heat for 2 hours.  And the smell of the soup cooking, fills the whole house!  During cooking, stir and add more vegetable juice or water as needed. 
 
Mary Ellen 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. Oh now this is what I call yummy comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just discovered this post because Foodie Crush tweeted it. I am so inspired and can hardly wait to try so many of your recipes!UpdateLand

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this great post. Your ketchup recipe is a staple in my kitchen! I just made another batch yesterday 🙂

    Harold Burton

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m all about 30 minute meals. I don’t have time for complicated in my life! Who does.
    Joseph Donahue

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cook spaghetti squash in the crock pot. I just poke it a few times with a fork, put in in a large crock pot (mine is oval shaped) and let it go all day on low. Very easy.
    Paul Brown

    ReplyDelete