Friday, December 28, 2012

Wives with Beehives


Last night while flipping through the channels, I came across a special on TLC called "Wives with Beehives". The special will be aired again tonight (12/28) at midnight on TLC (set your DVRs!). If you haven't watched it yet and don't want to be spoiled, you might want to stop reading now :) Based on the title alone, it totally sounded like something I had to watch! The special focused on four ladies living very 1950s lifestyles. Not only in the way they dressed, but their homes and other aspects of their lives. Of course, I loved, loved, loved their dresses, gloves, hats, hair, makeup and cute retro furnishings! I also found myself in agreement with the ladies about the appeal of the 1950s way of life. It was a time of more traditional roles, with men as the providers and women caring for the homes. It may sound strange to some that as a working woman, I would prefer a time when few women worked outside of the home. But, even within my very modern life, our home and mindset is very traditional. My focus is always homeward, hence the tagline, "Celebrating the domestic side of working motherhood".

Of course, it wouldn't be a reality show without some drama! When a new member joined the scene, it brought out some cattiness from one of the other ladies. But, as one of the ladies stated, living the 1950s lifestyle doesn't make you a perfect angel! I enjoyed the show and hope it returns as a series instead of just a one-time special. It would also be great to see not just this group of ladies, but others who live varying degrees of the 50's lifestyle. Or maybe others living in different decades.

ETA:  One of the ladies that appeared on "Wives with Beehives", Dollie DeVille, has written about her experiences filming the show.  And they were not pleasant at all!  It's a shame because I would have enjoyed watching the ladies lives as they are without any drama or fabricated storylines. 

Did you watch the show last night? What were your thoughts? 

 Mary Ellen

4 comments:

  1. The 50s was a time of very elegant wear for women. Men`s wear was functional and quite casual, but also stylish. I love the cloths of that time but couldn`t imagine living my life in that way. Modern world would be quite difficult to work in that style, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't see it, but it sure sounds like a show I would enjoy. Isn't it amazing how you accidentally ran across this show that you enjoyed so much.

    Yes, the 50s lifestyle sounds nice. But, I was born in 1958, and my Mama worked as long as I can remember. Remember all those sewing factories that used to be all over Sampson County? Only 1 or 2 left now. Maybe Brooks Brothers in Garland is the only one left. Not sure. Thanks to her working, us 5 children always had nice clothes and Christmases!


    Happy New Year Mary Ellen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Debbie
    "Remember all those sewing factories that used to be all over Sampson County?"

    Yep, I remember! My Momma worked at the Brooks Brothers plant in Garland back when it was called Fleetline. There was also another sewing factory in Clinton she worked at for a time. I can't remember the name.

    Happy New Year!

    Mary Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I knew this was coming on! I know I would have enjoyed it. Oh well: maybe I can catch a re-airing.

    ReplyDelete