Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Note To Self

I'm heading into a particularly busy time at work. A few months ago, when faced with the same work craziness, I wrote myself a letter. The voice of a saner, calmer me to counsel myself should I face another stressful time. This morning as I scorched the beans I was preparing for dinner and found myself running around like a crazed person, I stopped and read the letter. Here's what it said:

Dear Mary Ellen,

It's that time again! The crazy meeting week where there's so much to do and not alot of time. Take heart; you can do it! We've been down this road before and made it through to the other side.

Right now, you're starting to feel tremendously overwhelmed. You're feeling frustrated by the lack of resources at work. You're getting easily upset at home as the stresses of the day are wearing on you. Take a deep breath. You've done this many time before. And each time, everything worked out fine.

Just take it slow and do what you can each day.

-Make a list of what needs to be done & prioritize it.

-Don't be afraid to ask for help. It hasn't been denied in the past.

-Stay hydrated & eat well. Drink plenty of water, don't skip lunch & save the sugar for the celebration at the end.

-Expect set backs - late information coming in, paper jams, low toner, not enough paper. Obstacles happen, and they've been overcome.

- See home as a haven. Leave the stress behind. Enjoy home for its treasures.

-Above all, ask God to bless the day & give thanks at the end of the day. Even the most stressful day has its gifts.

Don't let the situation or the environment drag you down. You can rise above it. It doesn't define you. You are a child of the Most High God. You have overcome!

ps. Have a cookie when it's all over. And maybe a beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment