Friday, July 13, 2012

From Scratch - Peach Pie Recipe


The morning after my peach jam canning session, I mentioned to Dave that maybe I'd make another batch of jam with the remaining peaches.  To which he replied, "Or maybe a peach pie".  Then, I pondered peach salsa.  And once again his response was, "Or maybe peach pie".  At that moment, I got it!  Peach pie wasn't merely a suggestion, but a big hint, hint!  So, when I came in from work that evening, I busied myself in the kitchen working on a peach pie completely from scratch!


For the pie crust, I used The Pioneer Woman's Perfect Pie Crust recipe.  I've made it many times before for her Flat Apple Pie recipe and it is so good!  And very easy to make!  I divided the dough into two, wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated for about 30 minutes.  While the crust was chilling, I made the pie filling.

Peach Pie Filling:

5 -6 medium peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 - 3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Combine peaches, flour, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.  Set aside.

I took the crusts from the refrigerator and rolled them out on a floured counter.  I took one of the crusts and placed it in my greased pie pan.  As you can see from the photos, my crust crimping skills could use some work!  Add the peach mixture to the pie pan.  Using my pizza cutter, I cut the second crust into strips and formed a lattice pattern over the peaches.  Not all of them were the same width, but it turned out okay!

Bake the pie at  375 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes. 


Slice and serve with vanilla ice cream and make your peach pie loving husband extremely happy!  Dave especially loved the filling.  He said it was just sweet enough to still allow the natural sweetness of the peaches to come through. 

Hope you have a PEACHY weekend!

Mary Ellen

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of yesterday. My husband and I went up to Mt. Lemmon in Arizona for a weekend outing, and he had peach cobbler for the first time at one of their restraurants (he is from Michigan). I'm from Georgia, so I'm used to peach pies and cobblers. He loved the cobbler and asked me to make some peach pies and cobblers for him.

    ReplyDelete