Thursday, September 29, 2011

As Seen On Pioneer Woman - Chocolate Chip Cookies with Malted Milk


Malted Milk - who knew!?!

I discovered something new (to me) watching the Pioneer Woman's show on the Food Network this past weekend - malted milk.  I had never heard of it!  But was quite intrigued as I watched the Pioneer Woman whip up a delicious looking batch of chocolate chip cookies using malted milk.       


Cookie dough - yum!

For those not in the know (or maybe I'm the only one!), malted milk is a mixture of malted barley, wheat flour and whole milk evaporated into a powder.  I wasn't sure if I would be able to find this in our grocery stores.  But to my delight, I found some at Harris Teeter in the Nesquik, Carnation mix section.    


Cookies!

I have to say, this is probably one of the BEST chocolate chip cookie recipes I've ever tried!  You just know it's going to be good when the recipe calls for an entire 12 oz bag of chocolate chips.  The cookies are thin (the dough did spread exactly like PW said it would), but so soft and chewy.  The kids went crazy over these cookies!  You would have thought I had never made them cookies before in their entire lives LOL!  As soon as one warm, gooey batch of cookies came out the oven, they were right there waiting - ready to devour.   


The cookie monsters in action!

Now that I know of malted milk and have some in my pantry, I will definitely be making these cookies again.  And there's a pretty good looking milkshake recipe on the malted milk container that I'm going to try out.

Do you have any malted milk in your pantry?  If so, what do you use it for? 

Mary Ellen 

8 comments:

  1. my baby's momma and my husband's mommaSeptember 29, 2011 at 10:48 AM

    wow!!. I am going to make some of these cookies tonight while my husband grills burgers so that we can eat them while watching our favorite shows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Malted milk. I shall have a look in my local supermarket if I can get this here in Britain.
    I have seen something similar as powder that you mix into hot milk to make a malted drink for bed time. Wonder if this could be the same thing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarina - Maybe it is the same thing - or at least related. The Pioneer Woman mentioned mixing malted milk into glasses of milk when she was a kid.

    Mary Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  4. The kiddies are adorrrrable. So sweet, no wonder, with those yummy cookies, how can you not be?
    We do not have malted milk in the pantry.
    I must try this recipe. My girls are all grown up now, and do not eat many cookies so perhaps I will bakes some for the little girls across the street. They are 4 and 8, Their mom fought a courageous battle with cancer and The Lord opened his arms wide for her on September 9th.
    The emptiness is overwhelming. Malt has such a comforting taste, and it is good for you. It is a grain, and probably a good source of vitamin B

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pierro - sorry to hear about the loss of your neighbor. My prayers are with her daughters and family.

    Mary Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't Ovaltine (malt flavored) malted milk powder? You mix it with milk for a hot or cold drink.

    ReplyDelete
  7. RetroRocketGal - Maybe it is. I've never tried Ovaltine but it does sound similar.

    Mary Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both, Ovaltine and the instant malty drink I can buy here in Britain. I shall read the ingredients and see if I can use them both in making these cookies.

    ReplyDelete