Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Quick Meals for Working Moms - Homemade Cornbread (Vintage Modern Family Cook Book Recipe)


This isn't a meal, but with Fall right around the corner, my thoughts are turning towards warm bowls of comfort food.  And nothing goes better with a big bowl of chili than cornbread!  My Momma is/was a fantastic Southern cook.  But when it came to cornbread, she made hers out of box - Jiffy, to be exact.  Don't get me wrong, it was good.  So good, I remember impatiently waiting at the kitchen counter just to get a chance to lick the raw corn meal mix from the bowl!   


Don't tell my Momma, but I think this homemade cornbread is just a little bit better than hers :)  Light, fluffy and soooo good hot out of the pan.  I found the recipe while browsing one of my Momma's old cookbooks - The Modern Family Cookbook by Meta Given (1953 edition).


I love how my Momma signed her cookbooks using my Daddy's name - Mrs. James A.  P...


Click to enlarge image

The recipe is for corn sticks or muffins, but I usually make this in a pan.  

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup yellow corn meal
3 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 teaspoons salt
1 egg
1 cup of milk
1/4 cup melted shortening (I use oil)

Mix ingredients, pour into a prepared pan or tins and bake at 425 for 20 - 25 minutes.   

You absolutely MUST eat a slice of a cornbread hot right out of the oven!  Consider it your right as preparer of all things delicious. 

And while you're in the kitchen mixing up a bowl of this cornbread, give a listen to the Carolina Chocolate Drops as they perform "Cornbread and Butterbeans"



Mary Ellen

1 comment: