Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Quick Meals for Working Moms - Small Batch Canning Pear Honey


Locally-grown pears cooking on the stove top

Small batch canning is ideal for working moms.  You can put up the season's offering just like your grandmother did, but in less time! 

Recently at our farmers market, my pastured egg lady was selling pears that had fallen from her tree when Hurricane Irene came through.  Because some were slightly bruised, she sold them to me for .50/lb.  I'm not big on pears, but I do love pear honey!  It's so delicious on top of a warm whole wheat waffle.  Or if you're like my Momma, you can eat it straight out of the jar!  The recipe is very simple -  just pears, crushed pineapple, sugar and lemon juice.  Great for a first-time or beginner canner (like myself!).  Once the pears and pineapples are cooked, it only takes 10 minutes to process the jars by water bath.

  

Jars of pear honey!

You can find the recipe for Pear Honey here

A few notes: 
  • The recipe calls for 5 cups of sugar.  But I've found 2 1/2 - 3 cups to be plenty sweet.
  • 3 lbs of peeled, cored and cut pears is about 6 - 7 lbs whole pears
  • After the pears and pineapple have cooked, I use an immersion blender to grind the pears to a thick applesauce like consistency.
  • Instructions for preparing your jars and the water bath process can be found on the Ball canning website.
Happy canning!

Mary Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment