Friday, January 13, 2012

My Favorite Cupcake - The Pioneer Woman's Vanilla Cupcakes


Red, white & blue cupcakes

January is a BIG birthday month for us!  All three kids have January birthdays.  All three birthdays are two weeks apart.  And the kids are two years apart in age.  But, can you believe with all those January birthdays, we didn't have one New Years baby!

I'll be spending plenty of time in the kitchen this month baking up cupcakes.  My favorite cupcake recipe is The Pioneer Woman's Vanilla Cupcakes.  These homemade cupcakes actually remind me of my beloved Cafe Blue cupcakes from the Cafe Carolina & Bakery.  But for a fraction of the cost!           


Make a wish!

For frosting, I use a standard Butter Cream recipe:  3-3/4 cups powdered sugar, 1/2 cup butter (softened), 4 tablespoons of milk and 1 teaspoon of vanilla (or other flavor - I used lemon flavoring for Reed's cupcakes).  Since our birthday boy is in an all things Captain America phase, I colored two portions of the frosting with red and blue food coloring for a patriotic look! 

Hope your weekend is sweet!

Mary Ellen

6 comments:

  1. Looks good! January is a big birthday month for us as well. My birthday is New Year's Day (Jan 1), My dad & one of my sister's is on Jan 16th, Another sister's is on the 20th & a niece on the 31st. In addition, I have two cousins & an aunt whose birthdays are Jan 3rd & 9th. I've got to run out and grab some birthday cards today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to all of the kitties, I mean, kiddies. January is a wonderful month to be born.
    Miles' birthday is the 20th, Cuppiecakes sound like a great party treat!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cupcakes look good. The frosting colors remind me of the 4th of July.

    Oh, your ruby rox dress looks fabulous! Brown is one of my favorite colors!

    -M. Wildflower

    ReplyDelete