Thursday, August 19, 2010

Fall Garden Started!


This year, I'm attempting a Fall garden for the first time!  Using salvaged bricks Dave found on Craigslist for free, I constructed a square similar to the one used for my small Spring garden.  My intentions were to start the seeds indoors at the beginning of July.  BUT...that didn't happen!  So I planted the seeds directly into the soil mix and have been praying for the best.  I planted broccoli, kale (lacinato and a curly leaf variety), red chard and spinach.

The newsletter from one of the local nurseries mentioned them selling transplants for the fall gardening.  I may go ahead and clean out my Spring garden and plant a few of the transplants.  Sort of like a "Plan B" if my direct seed experiment doesn't work :)


4 comments:

  1. Fabulous! I am hoping to get back into the swing of gardening next year when my wee ones are a bit older. If you don't read her blog already, head over to Teresa's Homestead Notes. She is an avid gardener and I have enjoyed many a blog post about her winter gardens. Enjoy!

    http://homesteadnotes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the blog link Allison!

    Mary Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are way ahead of me. Last year I waited too late to plant carrots and the snow got them.

    -Rene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your fall garden! I'm not sure I'm going to try. Summer's garden was such a bust!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete