Friday, February 24, 2012

Lenten Meal Ideas - Fish & Chips with Homemade Tartar Sauce


Fish Nuggets with Homemade Tartar Sauce

During the Lenten season, our family will be observing meatless (with the exception of fish) Fridays.  A quick meal for a Friday dinner after work, would be fish and chips.  This sort of falls into the convenience/semi-homemade category.  For ease, I like to use the fish nuggets from Trader Joe's.  But one could certainly make these from scratch.  Simply Scratch has a homemade crispy baked fish nuggets recipe that is on my recipes to try list.  To accompany our fish nuggets, I made an easy tartar sauce using a 1/2 cup of mayo and several tablespoons of my jalapeno pepper jelly.     


For the chips, I made a batch of my homemade oven fries.  Peel and dice 5 russet potatoes.  Toss in olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt, freshly ground black pepper and paprika.  Bake on a greased baking sheet at 450 degrees for 20 minutes (flip after 10 minutes). 

Mary Ellen

3 comments:

  1. Oh, fish nuggets and chips used to be my children`s favourite meal. It was an easy way to introduce fish to them without the scary thoughts of catching fish bones halfway through the meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! We've been eating about 3 to 4 meatless meals each week since November. It's a challenge coming up with easy recipes when your used to cooking meals with a protein.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great and as I am going vegetarian will try it. I'll let you know how it turns out.

    Speaking of Lent, when I was considering conversion to Anglicanism, I went on a Lenten fast. No meat, sweets, soda or bread and I lost 20 lbs! Gained it all back (lol)but it is a great way to consecrate and really evaluate what's going on in your life.

    Peace

    ReplyDelete