Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Shrove Tuesday - It's Pancake Day!



Lemon Blueberry Pancakes

Today is Shrove Tuesday - also known as Pancake Day.  It's the day before Ash Wednesday, which is the start of the Lenten season.  As a tradition, we have breakfast for dinner on Shrove Tuesday.  With pancakes (of course!) and bacon or sausage and scrambled eggs.  My favorite from scratch pancake recipe is the Pioneer Woman's Lemon Blueberry pancakes.  Using cake flour makes the pancakes so soft and fluffy!  For extra lemon flavor, I substitute lemon flavoring for the vanilla called for in the recipe.  And since the kids aren't fond of blueberries in their pancakes, I make a separate batch with the lemon but sans blueberries.  So good!  Even the batter tastes like a delicious lemon cake batter.  And this year, I'm making the berry butter recently featured on the Pioneer Woman's Food Network show to accompany the pancakes.  Yum!

Mary Ellen  


Spring and Easter Cards, Gifts & Decor


(Note:  This post contains an affiliate ad.  Read my disclosure policy here).

3 comments:

  1. We will celebrate my birthday a day early since I would like to eat out and Ash Wednesday is a day of fast.

    The pancakes sound wonderful though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I am watching my weight I am avoiding all thos eyummy things like pancakes :( But those do look very very nice!!

    ReplyDelete