Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Quick Meals for Working Moms - Spaghetti with Homemade Meat Sauce


Whole Wheat Spaghetti with 
Homemade Meat Sauce

When I think about quick meals to make in the evenings after work, spaghetti always comes to mind!  It's not very time intensive and the kids love it.  But instead of reaching for a jarred pasta sauce, why not make your own?  It's simple and it gives you more control over the ingredients.  My go-to homemade meat sauce is this recipe featured on the Naturally Knocked Up blog (cute name!).  I do make a few changes to make it more to our liking.  I omit the olive oil, Worchestershire sauce and Parmesan cheese.  If we add Parmesan, it's usually sprinkled on after the pasta is plated.  I also leave out the minced onions and use onion powder instead.  Ashleigh is convinced she is allergic to onions (she's not!) and will not eat anything containing visible onion pieces.  And when I'm feeling particularly thrifty, instead of two-15oz. cans of tomato sauce, I'll use one can + a can of water.  The sauce will thicken as the water cooks down.  This recipe serves our family of 6, with one serving usually left over.

Enjoy!

Mary Ellen

     

No comments:

Post a Comment